Made these for girls night with black beans and avocado, and sauteed zucchini, tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. They were super easy, relatively healthy, and very flavorful. Enjoy!
**I must credit Rachael Ray for this one...http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=1629&r=1629**
Chicken Fajita Burgers:
- 1 1/3 pounds ground chicken
- 1 tablespoons ground chipotle (smoky flavor) chili powder, (a palmful)
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Several drops hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning (such as Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
Seared Peppers and Onions:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), 1 turn of the pan
- 2 red or green bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 medium yellow skinned onion, thinly sliced lengthwise, reserve 1/4 of a piece, uncut
- 1 jalapeno or serrano, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups tomatillo, green chili salsa or chipotle-tomato salsa, your choice
Heat a grill pan or large skillet over medium-high heat.For Chicken Fajita Burgers:
Combine chicken, chipotle powder, cilantro, hot sauce and grill seasoning. Score and divide meat into 4 sections and form big patties, 1-inch thick. Drizzle patties with EVOO and cook 6 minutes on each side or until meat is firm and cooked through.
For Seared Peppers and Onions:
Heat a medium skillet over high heat. Add EVOO and peppers and onions. Stir-fry the veggies tossing them with tongs to sear them at edges. Add the jalapeno or serrano pepper. Toss and turn the mixture about 3 minutes, then add salsa of choice and toss a minute longer. Place burgers on each bun bottom and top with 1/4 of the pepper and onion mixture and bun top. Serve Bacon and Bean Smash on the side.